Wednesday, April 1, 2009

We Did Ignite It, But We Tried To Fight It


The twins and I have become absolutely obsessed with "Dexter". If you haven't seen it, it's a show about a serial killer and it is sick, twisted, and brilliant! Anyway...we've become so infatuated with this show that we'll sit down and watch seasons of it for hours at a time. I really admire his organization and cleanliness. Something I lack.

So we're sitting watching Dexter and the Ice Truck Killer when Twin #2 says that she smells something burning and immediately accuses Twin #1 of leaving the oven on. She checks....oven's off.

Then Twin #1 wonders if the fourth roommate is burning upstairs. Since the fourth roommate has so many electronic devices plugged into a single outlet, it was a possibility. There have been sparks before and there could be sparks again.

Even at this point I still didn't smell anything and I was beginning to think that they were losing it.

Finally after 20 minutes, Twin #1 tells me to come sit next to her so that I can smell it. I move and I do. It smelled like plastic, but not as strong. It was the smell of cigarette filters burning. It was at that moment that I remembered my downfall...messiness. I opened the balcony door to find our ashtray that hasn't been emptied out in at least 2 months was on fire. We immediately dosed the sparks and got back to Dexter.

We could learn a thing or two from a serial killer...I bet serial killers empty out their ashtrays.

6 comments:

Vodka Mom said...

sniff, sniff. What's that I smell???

Lorraine said...

Okay, I'm keeping my mouth shut about the smoking. But you do have a fire extinguisher, right?

The Chatty Barista said...

I must say, I empty my ash tray quite frequently.. although my hamper is another story.. lol (good thing I have a lot of clothes to wear)

Paige said...

Nah...don't you know how many killers get busted by leaving cig butts at the scene? DNA on that stuff, baby

Shelli (wishes she was) Mrs. Burchett;) said...

I agree with Paige! Serial killers are dumb like that. Don't they read true crime books? Geesh!

Joanie M said...

I think the only time I watch Dexter is when my son is home and we watch it together. Terrific show!